Monday, July 14, 2008

YVR SUCKS!!!

Tuomo kvetches: It's been a while since my last post. I must be going through some light form of culture shock because there are a couple of things I'd like to complain about, so pardon the unusually negative tone...

Don't you hate it when one little thing ruins everything that had been so delightful...?

Last Sunday (July 6), we returned from our three day trip to San Francisco with Pekka and Timo. We had a lot of fun, we walked around and explored the city, and needless to say had a drink or two along the way (more on this at some later point in time).

Our flight back to YVR on AC landed on time after 11pm, and everything went as usual until it was time to get off the plane. During my several decades of travels have I ever experienced where the passengers were literally trapped in the jet way because the door leading to the terminal was locked! After well over ten minutes, the doors were finally opened, and we were let in the terminal and continue our dreary treck to the customs and immigration hall.

What makes me particularly mad is that, all possible security breaches aside worthy a police/RCMP investigation (what if somebody had panicked for instance?), the two people, a young man and a woman, who came to open the door couldn't even bother to say, "We apologise." When I hear the woman say, "Thank goodness someone came to open the door; you could've been there for ages!" I asked her why we had had to wait behind the door for no reason. The only response was a sheepish grin and a shrug of shoulders...

What kind of airport management is this?!? Like does it happen often that YVR staff neglects to keep up with their schedule, especially at late hours when the last thing on passenegers' minds is wondering why they have to wait in a jetway?

All I have to say is that despite the fancy facades at YVR, I don't think I'll enjoy the experience of using YVR ever again. As if I had a choice either... :-(

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Was that the airline rep that opened the doors for you, or YVR personal, there is significant difference. May be selecting different airline, not an airport would enhance your experience?