Tuesday, November 27, 2007

What's going on? (Part 2)

Tuomo writes: As I mentioned earlier, I've been taking this class at Kwantlen University College. By now we've reached the stage where we are ready to start working on how to write resumes and cover letters. We were asked to find a job announcement that we could see ourselves applying for; then the past two weeks we worked on creating fabulous resumes and even more fabulous cover letters. All of this culminated in a mock interview that was videotaped and stuff....

In my case, I happened to come across an announcement for an assistant opening at the international admissions office at Kwantlen. The best aspect of this was that the actual deadline for this opening would be at the end of the two week period, i.e. the day after the mock interview! My old, three-page resume was definitely in need of updating, and thanks to all the brainstorming and drafting we did in class, I now have a spiffy two-page kick-ass resume. Moreover, writing a cover letter was not that challenging either. However, all of this did take two weeks to develop and fine-tune, and last Thursday, after the mock interview (and having actually submitted the application!) I was quite exhausted. During that time, no time or energy for me to blog although I did have plenty of ideas to blog about...

Oh and the most interesting outcome from the whole process so far: one of the two interviewers at the interview actually works in international students' admissions!!! Whoohooo!!!!

Anyway, I called the Human Resources office this morning to check if they had received my application... and according to the person I talked to, it was still there. Meaning that it had made it beyond the first screening and that it hasn't been shredded yet... Keep your fingers crossed for me!!!

In the meantime, I've been volunteering in ESL and Linguistics at the Learning Centre on Richmond campus where I've been taking the Career Choices and Life Success class. I'm hopeful that this experience will also lead to an interview and subsequently a job... This one would be a parttime/on-call position though, but that's still a bazillion times better than what I'm doing now... You gotta start somewhere... At the same time, the admissions office position is a fulltime position though only for a limited time.

Decisions, decisions...!

No comments: