Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Into the Groove!

Tuomo writes: To echo my admiration of Tytti's impeccable taste in music, I've always felt a bit embarrassed about admitting that I am a Madonna fan.

Pretty much everyone agrees that she doesn't have any real singing - or acting - skills, but man does she cover up for it in so many other ways! I remember when she came out with Like a Virgin in the early 80s and I was in high school. I never really got a kick out of it, but it did catch my eye; even to this day, I wouldn't include it in my Top 5, let alone Top 10 Madonna hits, but hey, you gotta start somewhere. It wasn't until Into the Groove and her Blonde Ambition phase came out that I started to pay real attention to her. I loved the "packaging" and the cheekiness that it came in it! As a budding homosexual, I was titillated by her provocative approach to presenting herself; oh those outfits. So garish, so provocative, so... 80s! Later on, Madonna's overt support for the gay community made me a lifelong fan even though I have to admit that I sorta lost interest in her around her Kabbalah inspired album but got - pardon the pun - back in the groove along with her Confessions on the Dance Floor album.

Most of all I have to admire her for having had such a long career in a field that these days is infested with flavours of the day that become one hit wonders overnight. In fact, considering that way back in the beginning, she was expected to become a one hit wonder herself, so three decades of pop hits is in my book something to be proud of.

From the selection of three decades of songs as the icon of pop culture par excellence, I think my favourite Madonna song is Into the Groove mentioned above. Highlighted in - and promoting itself - the movie Desperately Seeking Susan, I couldn't help falling in love with this romantic comedy. In fact, it is one of my guilty pleasure movies: not much along the lines of a unique plot or fabulous acting, but it struck a chord in me at that time that still continues to vibrate. Besides, how many singer-actors in a supporting role can say they've danced to their own music! On my dance card, this one ranks high on my list of top pop dance songs...

So tomorrow when Madonna hits the stage in Vancouver, I hope she will be performing Into the Groove. That sure would make this 42-year old man very happy. In the meantime, I'll contend with the YouTube clip. Too bad I'm not now at home where I could lock the doors and dance - to my hearts content :-)

No comments: