Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Who's Got da Funk?!

Tuomo writes: And not the pleasant kind of funk either...

I guess the current slump started after our European friends left and our week at the beach was over. Ever since that everything has felt more or less blah.

It didn't help when when our friends at the beach - hopefully jokingly - mocked my attempt to keep in touch by means of this blog. All kidding aside, I felt hurt, especially when since the trip none of them have even bothered to wonder and/or ask me why I haven't been updating my blog. They were the main target audience in my mind that determined to write this blog in English. I might as well change the language to Finnish because those who do read this are our Finnish friends. And considering that I haven't written much in a few months, they probably haven't been following this either, so I'm questioning why bother in the first place... which definitely guarantees that this blog doesn't get any updates!

I haven't gone to the gym in ages. I haven't eaten sensibly or been on WeightWatchers since June. All I have done is eat and watch TV. And not without snacking on goodies that aren't carrots... I just can't seem to get interested in anything.

I postpone doing things for later. Or tomorrow. Or next week... or month.

I did get myself to go to a hot yoga class (Bikram) for like three times. Then I lost interest. Or motivation. Or maybe it was too pushy. Or something.

I need to get excited about doing something. Like going to the gym... or something.

Though I do have to point out that there has been a glimmer of some end to the funk. I recently got in touch with two friends from the past (thanks to FaceBook, my seemingly only source of social contact). I've written an e-mail or two with them in French and Estonian, something that seems to get my groove back on. I also got my car serviced today, and for some strange reason I feel like achieving things so that when Dave comes home the kitchen won't be a mess or the hallway upstairs won't be strewn with laundry to be folded or put away.

In fact, to prove the point that not everything is as gloomy as it may seem, I ran across another blast from the past, or a YouTube clip, Zoolookologie by Jean-Michel Jarre that got me in a merrier place, at least temporarily. Oh I so love the 80s graphics; it reminds a lot of my high school art work :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Funk da Funk! Tuomo, it seems you need to get a grip. :-) Seriously speaking i think what you need is a hobby that will be interesting also the fourth time you do it. You need to get out of the house a bit! I recognise the symptoms of a pomme de terre de canapé quite well myself. Before last year, I (actually, we) had no hobbies and mainly watched telly in the evenings at home. "I'm soo tired all the time after work, I can't be bothered to go anywhere"... Pekka joined a choir and I started an arts course. Hmm..maybe that could be interesting for you, too! I had absolutely no idea how to hold a painting brush but in the end I managed to create some pictures (OK, they are copies..). You with your amazing artistic talent you could create anything!! Or why not join a choir yourself!? Or go canoeing? Well, maybe indoors at first.

That Jarre clip was a definite blast from the 80s. Cool!

PS. I'm reading your blog regularly. Actually, it's fun to write in English as I extremely seldom need to do to that anymore!