Friday, December 14, 2007

Iċ ēom Bēowulf!

Tuomo writes: We went to see Beowulf tonight. Visually speaking amazing, acoustically - deafening! Oh and for the record: Denmark is quite flat in terms of geography - unless somehow the fjords disappeared after the 8th century :-)

Considering how much I'm interested in Old English and the history of the English language, I'm embarrassed to admit that I had no idea of what to expect in terms of a plot. All I knew was that there was a monster called Grendel, and that the story takes place somewhere in present-day southern Sweden (e.g. Geataland = Götaland). Oh and that Grendel's mother was upset about her son's death. But then what? I had no idea of the rest of the plot... but I was never that much into literature to begin with...

I might have taken a more serious interest in Old English literature though had I been able to visualize Beowulf as one hot dude! Both Dave and I were thinking the same when Beowulf took off his armour and chainmail... Woof! Or as that might have been rendered in Old English: Hēo wæs mycel hēat! Wōf! :-) I may have to find my Teach Yourself Old English book and start developing other impure thoughts on Beowulf in the language of his times - and throw in a dative or two for good measure...! Hmmm, I'll just have to find out how to decline the noun phrase the hot man in all cases, singular and plural...

So it shouldn't surprise anyone that I was very pleased to hear some Old English (e.g. lufiende min "my love"). I just couldn't resist declining nouns like cyning "king": cyning, cyning, cyninge, cyninges... I probably got it wrong, but it got me at least temporarily distracted from Beowulf's impeccable pecs :-)

And one more thing for the record: even as a gay man, I couldn't help noticing that Grendel's mother was quite bodacious too :-)

No comments: