Sunday, February 24, 2008

First Week on Weight Watchers

Tuomo writes: This may have been my least successful first week on WeightWatchers: I made some bad decisions, like have a bran muffin as a snack without realizing that by definition muffins are little balls of butter. Consequently I lost “only” 2.8 pounds (a hair over 1 kg), but that’s better than nothing, right? And 2.8 pounds closer to my 10% goal of 195 pounds!

But I came to discover the joys of popcorn as a high-fiber snack: one McDonalds hamburger (note no cheese!) and a cup of grapes and popcorn – only 8 points! Then I also drank a lot of water, and walked for at least ten minutes on three days. Two personal achievements to be continued this coming week. I’ll also try to go to the gym at least once, for a 20 minute cardio. Maybe some pushups, too…

As I’ve come to discover on many occasions, Canada is not the United States. This past week has highlighted another aspect in the differences: shopping for low-fat or low-sodium products. On several occasions I came to realize in frustration that WW recipes calling for a low-sodium this or low-fat that are rendered extra challenging on this side of the US-Canadian border. To add insult to injury, it can’t be a coincidence that I “always” have to reach for the skim milk container at Starbucks behind all the other containers!

No comments: