Friday, February 8, 2008

Friday Night - Time for Turkish Delight

Tuomo yazıyor: After last night’s posting, I’ve been a bit in a Turkish mood. In fact, when I think about my whole collection of CDs, I think that right after music in English and Finnish (duh!), Turkish may be the next runner up. Or at least give music in French its run for the money.

I guess I’ve always been interested in Turkish music. It must’ve all started with my obsession with Eurovision and with Turkey being in the same league as Finland with the entries, i.e. among the bottom three or so (note to self: more on this in a later posting). Turkey would submit these entries that were up-tempo yet somehow exotic and appealing. If it hadn’t been to Turkey, Finland would have guaranteed the last place in the Eurovision Song Competition :-) Nevertheless, almost invariably I loved the Turkish entries, and I loved listening to that language that is so different from other “mainstream” European languages, thinking that this is what Finnish must come across as…

Then there was that trip to Turkey I mentioned in my last posting: that’s when music by artists such as Sezen Aksu, Barış Manço, and M.F.Ö. became sort of household names – at least to me. But this was the time before the Internet… Thanks to Pekka and Timo, on Dave and my trip to Luxembourg in 1999, we came across a new Turkish artist: Tarkan.

I think I have every single album Tarkan has ever released, and although Dave is understandably particular about music other than in English, even Dave likes him. According to Wikipedia, Tarkan has released an album in English, which I have to admit it, unfortunately does not quite sound right. Maybe it’s the mystique of a language you don’t quite understand or something, but his lyrics in English just sound flat, in a dime-a-dozen kinda way.

My two cents on this: Tarkan, bence sen daha iyi Türkçe şarkı söylüyorsun! :-)

It’s hard for me to say which of his songs is my favourite. For instance. I love working out to the sounds of Gülümse Kaderine (Devrim Remix) from his album Dudu. And then there’s Şıkıdım (Hepsi senin mi?) or Bu gece. But for the newbie, his worldwide debut hit Şımarık “The Spoiled One” (a k a The Kiss Kiss Song) makes a good starting point. Enjoy – but don’t ask me what the lyrics mean ‘cuz I don’t have a clue! Simply enjoy, and let your hips take control! :-)



One more thing: Tarkan, ne zaman Vancouver’e sahneye çıkmak için geleceksin? :-)

No comments: