Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Eurovision 2008: Results of the 1st Semi-Finals

Tuomo writes: First of all, congratulations to all the songs that made it to the finals. Here's a quick commentary on today's/tonight's results (in order of performance); note that I/we haven't seen any of the performances live yet:

Israel: I'm surprised... We had this on our Bubbling Under list.
Azerbaijan: Well duh :-)
Norway: I still think this is like two day old oatmeal. As Dave put it, nice melody, awful lyrics.
Poland: This instead of Slovenia?! :-( I'm appalled...
Bosnia-Herzegovina: I'm surprised that Dave loved this... It's groing on me too though :-)
Armenia: Well duh :-)
Finland: What the BWAAHMP?!? :-) HTH, or How this happen? So the testosterone driven 14-year-olds across the continent got their act together and televoted en masse as I has suspected... Well, good for Finland! Though clearly this is sending the wrong message to Finns and Finnish teenagers in particular :-)
Romania: Thank goodness!!!
Russia: This song is in a dire need a distinct refrain. As it is now it just sounds flat from the beginning to the end
Greece: Well duh :-)

So Slovenia didn't make it. I'm forced to push forth my lower lip as I sulk on this. Not happy :-(
And Belgium didn't make it either. We both thought it was cute with its klezmer sound...

Oh and thank heavens that neither Estonia nor Ireland succeeded in their attempts to sabotage the competition! Mwahahahaaa :-)

OK on to the second semi-finals, which I suspect will turn into a proverbial bloodbath with more than just 10 good candidates running for the remaining 10 slots in Saturday's finals...

No comments: