Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Eurovision 2008: Slovenia

Tuomo Neuvonen: Success for Slovenia, one of the remnants of Yugoslavia, has been relatively elusive (unlike for Croatia or Serbia). We can be grateful for Slovenia for one key moment in Eurovision history: thanks to Slovenia in 2002 the doors were opened for drag queens to perform as the main act on stage (Norway in 1986 did have a drag performer on stage but not as the performer). At any rate, here's Slovenia, Rebeka Remelj, and Vrag naj vzame:

Here or

At last an entry that got my booty shakin' and dancin'! Not a pretty sight (my booty shaking, that is), I'm sure, but I had been waiting for an entry like this. And as for body parts, Rebeka also has the boobs for Slovenia to succeed :-)

One more (disturbing) observation: if you listen to both links, you will notice that the one provided by eurovision.tv is more clubby (i.e. the one I danced my ass off to) than the one I picked up on Youtube (labeled: official). It will be interesting which one will actually be performed on stage... I like this one a lot (so far my favourite, I guess), but a lot of my judgement hinges on which version of the song will be performed on stage...

Vrag... in Russian that's "enemy" (враг), but what on earth is the naj vzame? Judging by the video (unhappy people running away from each other, etc.), I've hypothesised that the title must be Slovenian for "snake in the grass" or something like that. Any thoughts?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Shake that booty, boy! If Rebeka doesn't make it to the final, who will?? Me like this!