Saturday, April 5, 2008

Eurovision 2008: Montenegro

Tuomo writes: With Ireland and Finland out of the way, I guess the fairest way to continue the review of this year's Eurovision entries is in the order that they will be performed in the semi-finals. In other words, here's Montenegro, Stefan Filipović, and Zauvijek volim te!

http://www.eurovision.tv/medialounge/video/592

My command of Montenegrin (?) is limited (!), so there's not much I can say about the lyrics other than what I was I able to understand thanks to my skills in Russian and my contrastive philological skills. But like Teräsbetoni, I commend them for singing in their own language!

Now for the more musical aspects: I hate to say this, but beyond the first 50 seconds, I lost my interest. Maybe this song will grow on me, but at first listening the genre (rock) didn't quite tweak my Eurovision nipple. It just sounds too 80s big hair arena rock to me, which in terms of visuals ironically clashes with what the Stefan looks like on the clip! My prediction at this point is that Montenegro might be performing in the final - or if not, at the least beating Finland...

No comments: