Friday, April 4, 2008

Weight Loss Whine

Tuomo writes: I weighed myself this morning, and much to my pleasure I was down to 208 lbs. Oh to be at a weight where the first digit starts with a 1!

Yesterday I finally had time to go grocery shopping. As suggested by the authors of You on a Diet, I looked for some peanuts, specifically dry roasted and unsalted (because peanuts allegedly help trick the body to feel satiated earlier). Sure enough, the SaveOnFood in Walnut Grove did not have much of a selection of peanuts to begin with, but locating unsalted ones turned out to be a totally useless task. The choice boiled down to two brands of dry roasted, one that was MSG free and the other one that was labeled salted.

Initially, I was prompted to get the one that was labeled MSG free, but out of curiosity, I decided to compare the sodium count of each brand. Easier said than done: one had the nutrition info as per 1/4 cup and the other other as per 1/3 cup! After applying some elementary math skills ("multiply this one by 4, and that one by 3 to get info as as per cup"), I came to the conclusion that not only did the salted brand have less sodium per serving but also had less calories!! No wonder we're fat and confused :-)

Needless to say, I purchased the brand that was labeled salted. In the meantime, the quest for unsalted peanuts continues...

No comments: