Thursday, April 17, 2008

Getting on a Jet Plane

Tuomo writes: Dave will be home in about 30 minutes, and then it's off to YVR. My flight (BA 84) is scheduled to leave at 8:35 PM and to arrive in London (LHR) tomorrow at 1:40 PM local time. Then it'll be a shuttle over from the new but notorious Terminal Five to Terminal One where I'll catch my connecting flight to Helsinki (BA 6080, operated by Finnair). Wish me luck and keep your fingers crossed! For one, I want to show my dad and brother that one can transfer through LHR successfully and intact :-)

And who knows maybe if Aviation Goddesses are benevolent, I might get to upgrade. No matter what, I'll have my mandatory gin and tonic cocktail on British Airways and enjoy the flight.

I'm nervous and excited at the same time. I don't think I've ever packed as much in my carry-on as I've done now. I'm convinced that my luggage will get lost, so I've packed everyhting that is supposed to be my mom's 80th birthday presents in my blue Roots backpack. Honestly, I feel like a beast of burden! In fact, in case I do lose my luggage, I've packed a pair of underwear, socks, and a t-shirt so that I have something halfway decent to wear on Saturday.

So there may be a bit of a hiatus between now and the next post (as if I needed an excuse). The break in the semi-final reviews so far has been due to the fact that I had to give priority to finishing the cross stitch project that I've been working on for my mom's birthday; I didn't finish it until late Tuesday night when I spent the last two hours on the aggravating task of stitching lazy suzans... On Saturday (the day after tomorrow), I'll try to gain broadband access through my folks' cable provider. If this works out, I'll be able to continue my Eurovision semi-final reviews (god I know there'll be plenty of time with jet lag and stuff!). Otherwise I'll be back in the beginning of May.

Ah, I feel a song coming up (to quote Dame Edna)! Ireland submitted this as their Eurovision entry in 1984 Terminal Three performed by Linda Martin:

This one came second (!) and missed the top spot by eight points. BTW for those who care, Terminal Three at LHR is the terminal that serves British Airways, Air Canada, SAS, Singapore Airlines, Turkish Airlines, and Virgin Atlantic Airlines. Fascinating, isn't it :-)

No comments: