Sunday, April 27, 2008

Hercules: Eurovision Heaven

Tuomo writes: I think I was in Eurovision Heaven - or Hell depending on your view on ESC...

Last night (Saturday) a bunch of us was supposed to get together. Unfortunately things didn't work out according to planned, but at least I had a delightful dinner at Himalaja, one of the Nepalese restaurants in Helsinki, and then got plenty of exercise exploring Eira after dark, one of the more fashionable parts of Helsinki. After a cidre at O'Malley's, I continued the evening by going to Hercules - also known as Herccu, or Herkku ("deli" in Finnish) - all by myself (another friend was supposed to show up there, but in the end, he sent me a text message to let me know that he wasn't coming after all).

At any rate, the place was hopping! When I walked in (there was no line when I got to Hercules, but before I got in there was one right behind me!), they were playing this year's Swedish entry Hero. As I sipped on my omenasiideri, or apple cidre, the DJ played one Eurovision entry after another. Invincible. Qele qele. Sata Salamaa. You name it - the DJ played it! Too bad I had no one to dance with...

Oh and the bar was teeming with dark, swarty, and slim Italians and Spaniards. They seemed to be having a fun time hitting on the willing Finns. Unfortunately, none of them had the audacity to approach me; I mean, what does that make me, chopped liver?! :-)

Or could it be that I was actually looking for an excuse to go home early (which I got with that text message from the friend who I was expecting to meet at Herkku) and I didn't quite look like I'be fun to be with - or even available? Nah :-)

No comments: