Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Eurovision 2008: Turkey

Tuomo writes: As my/our readers may recall, I love listening - and shaking my bootie - to Turkish music. I don't think I would ever become a fan of performers such as Tarkan or Sezen Aksu if it hadn't been for Eurovision. Ever since Turkey entered the Eurovision scene, I have been fascinated by the Turkish entries. Like Finland, Turkey was practically a staple among the lowest places - until televoting became the way the Eurovision champion would be elected, which undeniably has had an influence on Turkey's relatively high placings in recent years

From day one, Turkey was lightyears ahead of time and occasionally out of place (whereas Finland still remains lightyears out of place): exotic sounds of both the music and language were difficult to digest until pop music in general started to incorporate eastern sounds. And then the parameters changed - elements in Turkish music became maisntream - and bam, that was it: Turkey won in 2004! This year Turkey is represented by Mor ve Ötesi, and their entry is called Deli:


Here or

Alrighty - this has to be the best rock song this year, hands down! I hope people haven't got the impression that I'm against rock music in the Eurovision Song Competition. In the contrary - it just has to be good rock music (what ever that means - which will open a whole new can of worms, but we'll leave it at that for the time being). And this one was good rock - inTurkish. I have to say that this is a bold move for Turkey and possibly a healthy reminder to us all that there is more to the Turkish music scene besides Tarkan and Company.

Admittedly, kinda confusing that the only thing Turkish about this one was that it was in Turkish. Always a good move in my book of Eurovision music. On the other hand, once again, perhaps not a future evergreen but what the hey :-) İyi şanslar, Türkiye!

No comments: